Saturday, October 1, 2016

Seborga Sunrise

Still mostly dark and it's 0645. The beautiful lights of Monaco are just starting to fade out.

I had forgotten about the roosters in Italy and the barking dogs and the echoes of the barking dogs from the steep hillsides. I wonder why crowing doesn't echo. Neither does the sound of frantic cat fights from the other side of the canyon. They make the dogs bark more, though, and then there are the echoes. Italia!

Update: 0800. Jose is still not up.

There is technically not a drip coffee maker. There are fancy Italian equivalents that can make one cup at a time very slowly. Clearly they are intended to make cappuccino and the awful muddy-frothy concoction that Europeans call coffee. The equipment works well enough, so we have sunrise coffee.





We barely have anything for breakfast after Jose raided my snacks last night. He claimed he wasn't hungry enough for dinner. Then he plowed through my remaining beef jerky, devoured the last almonds, reprimanded me for eating both pop-tarts (after refusing them), and tore into my Speculoos. 

Speculoos are the European equivalent of the cinnamon cookies given out on American air carriers. They're very good, so when I spotted them in the French supermarche I bought a couple small packages to carry with me for emergencies. After Jose demolished the first package I warned him to save the last package for breakfast. I'm enjoying some of them now with my Italian-made coffee, overlooking this:



The sun rising over the horizon and striking the coast and city of Monaco is beautiful. I can't help but think that the mountain to my front strongly resembles La Cumbre Peak in Santa Barbara. 

There are more sounds reverberating from the surrounding hills. Sputtering tractors (on Sunday?) compete with church bells. There are loud conversations in Italian that, at first, seem like arguments but they're not. Italians speak with energy. Dog barking and yapping continues. What a relief that is. Once in a while a donkey brays and there's something, somewhere that sounds like a cross between a peacock and a Yeti...

As for the apartment, I love the balcony but am having serious issues with the spiral staircase. It seems to have been designed for a playhouse.




Getting my large suitcase up that thing was a challenge. But I did it.

Today we pick up Alcalde from the Airport. Our plan is to bum around Nice all day beforehand. Things in the villa-apartment are almost ready:



No comments:

Post a Comment