Saturday, October 1, 2016

Geneva to Nice

Observations:

1. The weather has changed from sunny and warm to cool and rainy. Or rather, it was that way at Geneva and Lyon. As we went southward at something like 200mph it changed to rainy and hot. Now in Nice it's cloudy and hot.

2. The TGV goes really, really fast. Wow.

3. I'm sitting at the rental car counter in Nice hoping the Jose will eventually show up.

4. I spent two hours debating world politics, philosophy, pedagogy, soteriology and epistemology with a French professor on the train. I'm pretty sure I won but he wasn't going to admit it. His long pauses after I caught him in logical fallacies and contradictions were enough for me.

4 Addendum. Thank heaven for the chatty French professor, who helped me run to the correct train in Lyon. Six minutes is not enough time to properly catch a train. On this point he was correct.

5. On the most recent leg of my journey, the bus ride from Gare Nice Ville to the Nice Cote-d'Azur Airport, the bus got stuck in traffic in the heart of Nice. A car broke down in the crowded street in front of us and we couldn't move. In rush hour. Traffic backed up for blocks. I heard the guy next to me speaking German and therefore assumed he could speak English, which of course he did. I asked if he would help me push the car out of the way. We went to the bus driver and asked if he would let us out. He had to call for permission but he did so and then, joined by a French good samaritan on the sidewalk, we pushed the little car uphill out of the way. When we got back on board the whole bus started clapping. Like it was heroic or something. I just wanted to get going.

The Jose is here now! RENDEZVOUS CITY!

1 comment: