Thursday, February 2, 2017

More Javelinas ... But Not In A Sandwich

Oh, you wacky blog followers. No, I did not put a javelina in a sandwich. I'm not even sure a javelina would go along with that idea. But I did see more of them today and got another picture. I tried to speak javelina to them but they looked confused:



Then I took a picture of this part of the Huachuca Mountains. There is a bit of a story here. When I went through training in 1984, which Al calls "maneuvers" because he's a military expert, I partook in an extended field training exercise which included a helicopter insertion. The insertion point was the sharp peak in the foreground of the picture below. Now it may not appear too dramatic, but I distinctly remember this event because the landing pad at the top of the peak was about twenty feet square and there were sheer cliffs off three sides and a sharp, dropping trail off the fourth along a ridgeline with steep dropoffs on both sides. It was a breathtaking descent and offload, an even more breathtaking hike down the trail, and frankly, a wonderful experience. We spent the next two nights in the mountains pretending to be a recon/strike team. We conducted a simulated raid on a remote site. We even killed and ate a rattlesnake for dinner one night. We weren't supposed to do that but we did. I wish I could do that whole training sequence again.



1 comment:

  1. Culinary experts all speak highly of rattlesnake, but there's obviously a lot more meat on a javelina.

    ReplyDelete