Monday, October 5, 2015

Santa Barbara Snapshot 1: The Shiny Junk Heap Saga Begins

Devoted readers of this blog will remember the post from about two years ago (almost exactly) which highlighted my father's latest, and as it turns out, last Mercedes purchase. 

Well, my father is now in heaven and the Mercedes, aka The Shiny Junk Heap, is now mine. At the cost of many, or rather, several...or more accurately, a few...hundred dollars I purchased it in loving memory of my father. It was his final Mercedes, the last of a long line stretching back to the 1970's--none of which were very nice and all of which were, frankly, castaways. This one was, and is, no exception. Though completely worn out and in need of many mechanical and cosmetic repairs, it lives on in the family. It has been officially renamed the MCB Memorial MBZ:




And it runs. Almost. Barely. I think. At least I've been driving it all day today. After I got it started. 

I intend to keep it running if I can and slowly fix it up as a loving tribute to my father. I am registering it in California and will keep it at my sister's house to use when I visit. Every visit I will fix a little more until it's nice again.

At least, that's the plan. The first step is getting it registered. And that is proving more complicated than expected. Stay tuned, devoted blog follower.

3 comments: