Thursday, May 15, 2014

Exploring the Lawton Area

Fort Sill is next to Lawton and it has a bunch of history:



Fort Sill is also home to the US Army Artillery Center and School, so of course there's a big museum with...static displays. There are many canons, including many captured from wars and stuff like that, but my favorite is the Crusader. It's a super-advanced US self propelled canon that never got produced because it was so advanced it was too heavy and way too expensive. But it's still cool:



And since there was time I decided to explore the majestic Wichita Alps, er, Mountains. The journey turned out to be risky:



Keeping my watch, and my distance, I faced the danger in the face, so to speak, and continued up the road, until there I was, at the top, viewing Fort Sill and Lawton from the summit:



Certainly very breathtaking. Then the Crump Crump Crump of artillery and the Boom Boom Boom of explosions on the practice range:



There was also a view to the west.



As I drove westward...THERE THEY WERE! The dangerous buffalo I had been warned about. And their behavior suggested the highest level of danger, indeed:



Somehow I managed to avoid panicking. I kept my distance and drove away.

1 comment: